LEARN – the EPFL Center for Learning Sciences
The speed and impact of the current digital transformation leads to overwhelming challenges that can only be solved by proper educational practices aiming at preparing future citizens to embrace the prospects of a digital society. EPFL is inaugurating its Center for Learning Sciences, the aim of which is to contribute to the excellence of the Swiss education system and to the digital transformation of our society. LEARN drives translational research on digital education and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). Translational research refers to the development of innovations through a process that transforms research results into concrete impact on education.
To achieve this goal LEARN promotes the integration of several research and deployment actions such as:
- Over 40’000 Thymio robots which are used in schools to enable kids to acquire computation thinking skills.
- The Learning Companion which lets students assess their study skills and receive advice, based on data from all students.
- The EPFL Extension School which brings applied digital skills to everyone, expanding EPFL’s leadership in online education.
- The Swiss edTech Collider and its 70 associated startups which make tech transfer a reality in education.
- DUAL-T, a SBFI funded leading house, which develops and studies augmented reality and social platforms for dual vocational education systems.
- Go-Lab, a FP7 and H2020 initiative which promotes the co-creation of STEM open education resources by teachers and inquiry learning with online labs at school in Europe and beyond.
Find out more about how LEARN will transform education on the Projects page.